Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Recycle bin...... now there's a great concept!

Why is it that we tend to retain so much useless information and be so proud of ourselves when we can pass it along to other people? Generally labled as "trivia", this info can cover so many broad subjects and content but never really contribute to the true meaning of something or its outcome. Why do we remember such insignificant things as the clothes we were wearing or what we were watching when we heard the news of 9/11? Why do I know that I was home from school with my mom for a snow day and still in my pjs when the space shuttle Challenger exploded? Yet, I don't remember much about the actual event itself, probably because I was only 7 years old. I truly believe that God has a sense of humor. He has to be laughing at me when he sees me straining to remember something of real importance and I can't even catch a glimpse of it in my mind, as if I had never been told or learned it at all. Yet in the next conversation, I can be the center of attention as I spout out lines from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. So frustrating. Where is that switch in my brain that allows this to happen? Is my mind so overloaded that anymore information will blow a fuse? That's how I often feel. Like I can't even think straight and if one more person asks me to recall something, I'll lose what I have left of my mind. My point is, why don't we as humans have a recyle bin that works like a computer? The ability to "delete" certain information to make room for new, but recycle it if I ever find that I need it again. Wouldn't that be an amazing feature? Perhaps that's why the computer outsmarts me. It has those features. You can find almost any information you want online; even that worthless trivia.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Woa....that was way deeper than Jack Handey. I'm feeling a little shallow right now! Not really, but I can see why I like you so much. I'm on that wave with you Mrs. Citarelli.

Lyra said...

Love it, Carla! Keep these great thoughts coming! I can't wait to catch up in person when I'm there for a visit, but this is filling such a void for me right now! I feel like I'm in your head! Love you!

Carla said...

Thanks to both of you - I felt like I was rambling and anyone reading would get bored but I'm glad to know you guys read them entirely!

Dee said...

So true! My kids are often amazed at the useless information that we all have, whereas the big things escape. When that happens now, I can just say that I needed to clean out my recycle bin. :) Excellent!