Tuesday, November 20, 2007

To Be Thankful

What does it mean to be thankful? We say it often but have you ever pondered the meaning of the word? Webster's definition is "conscious of benefit received, well pleased and to be expressive of thanks." When someone says they are thankful for something, I sometimes wonder if they understand and mean what they are saying. Most of the time when we say we are thankful, it is meant to show appreciation but are we truly thankful? Are we really "conscious of the benefit we are receiving"? Genuine thankfulness should go further than recognizing what's being given or offered, whether it be a material item or emotional support. It should be followed by expressed appreciation and consideration. The sermon I heard on the subject of Thanksgiving this past Sunday has left me pondering it for the last 2 days. The pastor spoke of being thankful. Not for all things but in all things. I tell people I'm thankful and I realize what I have but have I honestly thought about what I've been given and how my life would be without those blessings? I think most of us would answer "No". Sometimes it takes a tragedy for us to realize this. I would rather make a change in my life now and start being thankful for what I do have and stop looking at what I don't. So, in honor of the Thanksgiving Holiday, this post is dedicated to all that I am thankful for.

I am thankful that I have a home, a job to pay for that home, food to put on the table, and a bed to sleep in.

I am thankful that I can turn on the lights and the heat, drive my car to work, walk with my legs, type with my hands and see with my eyes.

I am thankful that I can talk with friends, drink my water and listen to the radio.

I am thankful that I have a husband who loves me and is true to me. I am thankful that he comes home, calls me and is my best friend.

I am thankful that I have friends who I can talk to and who trust me; who can make me laugh and be there when I cry.

I am thankful that I knew my father and that my mother is still here for me when I need her.

I am thankful for my children who are alive, healthy and have heard about Jesus.

And most of all, I'm thankful to God for me, despite any shortcomings; I am the person he meant for me to be.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I was provoked to thought...and can say that I practice Thanksgiving much more than 1 day a year!