Monday, November 12, 2007

Traditions

I was just reflecting with a friend about traditions in our lives and have realized that I have more than I thought. Most of them exist because I live so close to family and have all my life. We are attempting to start a few of our own, Curtis and I, but it can be difficult, especially since it doesn't matter much to him and I tend to obsess over these things. Most traditions begin without purpose or any attempt at all. Something just gets done a particular way and after a few times of doing it the same way, it becomes "tradition". Starting one then seems silly sometimes. I still think that its an important part of people's lives and something that can create lasting memories. However, I do think that one can go overboard with it. Because I want my children to experience the same type of feelings I have at Christmas when we do something I've done for as long as I can remember, this has become important to me now more than ever. My family's traditions will focus on holidays or birthdays I'm sure, simply because that's an easy way to start them. Despite my obsession for things to be perfect and tradition to happen the same way every time, I think that the most important part of a tradition is not to get wrapped up in the event itself, but the reasons behind its creation. Hopefully, that will keep us grounded and aware of the most important things in life; God, family and friends!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That friend must be very thought provoking....

Stephanie said...

Waiting for another blog...