Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Stop Complaining!

Complaints have almost ceased from my conversation in the last few weeks. I am happy and taken care of so what might there be to complain about? I'm sure I could think of something but who wants to put effort into that? Some people do I'm sure, but I'd rather not waist minutes doing so. However, today I found myself needing to complain or as we put it, "vent" for a moment. Although I did feel better after speaking it out loud to another human, I later began to wonder how healthy that is. It can't possibly be healthy but some people would argue that fact. Especially Psychologists..... oh no...... isn't that the area in which I'm working to obtain a degree? No, don't worry, I'm not dismissing my college career to this point. I don't feel that talking and expressing feelings about a subject are neccessarily the same as complaining. Webster's definition of complaining is "the expression of grief, pain, regret, etc." All of these could be argued but I think the difference may be that generally a complaint is something we either can't do anything about or something we choose not to do anything about. So why not go to the top source? What does God say in the Bible about complaining? The best verse I found to answer my question was actually an entire chapter. Psalm 139. I won't quote the whole thing but will give you just a verse or two. Verses 3 & 4 : "You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. (4) Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether." And that last few verses: (23) Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! (24) And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" So how is that relevant to complaining? Isn't it obvious? Here's my opinion and interpretation. God knows everything there is to know about me and that includes my every thought and action even before it happens. I pray daily that I'll follow the path that he has set for me and that I honor his will. So if I find myself complaining, it has to mean one of two things. First scenario; I've taken a wrong turn somewhere and find myself where I should not be. That's the most likely thing to have happened! OR, I have followed God's will and I'm now speaking against him! What if I am where I should be, doing what I should be by His will, and I'm complaining?!? Now, that's a sobering thought. Lord, forgive me for my complaints today and guide my path tomorrow so that I may not be in conflict with YOUR will. Remind me when I am that you hold me in your hands and that you are above all!

1 comment:

Alisha Endre said...

HOW relevant.

I found myself thinking about complaining today and googled some blogs. yours came up and was so spot on.