Monday, April 21, 2008

That was funny. Or was it?

Humor can vary greatly from person to person. People often say that they look for a partner with a "good" sense of humor. But what does that mean? I don't think we put enough emphasis on just how important it is to share not just humor but the same kind of humor. We are generally closer to those who share our type of humor. Something may be stupid to my husband while I find myself about to bust a gut falling out of chair over it. Often, those moments that I'm laughing out loud (you know, that stupid sounding hyena laugh), I see others looking at me like I'm missing my brain. Things that I find hilarious may be silly to someone else. I have to say that I believe that my closest friends and I have a very unique sense of humor. I'm glad we share that so that I don't feel like I'm in need of mental help. They remind me that I'm not alone in my doubled over laughter while listening to Jack Handy's "Deep Thoughts". And does anyone else out there find it side-splitting when someone falls (assuming that they are not hurt, of course). Even when I fall and hurt myself, the humor of it usually outweighs the hurt. Fortunately, I am able to laugh at myself also. So the next time you finding yourself laughing hysterically over something, stop and consider the subject matter and your sense of humor. How does it compare to others? You might find the discovery very interesting.

No comments: