Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and for the first time on this holiday, I've taken the opportunity to really think about its meaning and just what it means to me. There are so many places I could go with this but I'll try to keep it simple. First, the true meaning. To show love and appreciation for my mother. She is without a doubt, the most influential person in my life. To say that she has made many sacrifices for me or loves me is such an understatement. Now that I'm older and a mother myself, I can reflect on all the things that seemed so small when I was growing up but now have such a significance in my memory. I can now realize and appreciate the many things that she's done for me when I never even thanked her. It would be impossible for me to show her how much I appreciate her today as not just a mother, but one of my best friends as well. I can talk to her about anything and go to her with any problem (just because I could doesn't mean I take everything to her and I'm sure she appreciates that!). My mother is also the most dependable and loyal person I know. She has always been there for me when I needed her and always will. I love her and I'm thankful to God for giving me such a wonderful Christian mother. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
For the second half, I've reflected on what this day means to me as a mother. I guess I've never really contemplated this before. I just knew that I expected the kids and my husband to present me with a card; possibly a gift and that would be the extent of it. But this year, I'd like to take this day to be thankful that I have been given the opportunity to be a mother to 3 of the most wonderful children in the world. I am thankful for their personalities, their uniqueness, their health and most of all their forgiving and unconditional love for me. I'd also like to recommit myself to be the best mom I can be to them and be a positive role model in their lives just as my mom was to me.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

No comments: