Saturday, July 5, 2008

Don't take it for granted

Today was an ordinary yet unusual day. What I mean by that is that all 5 members of my family were home for the entire day together doing miscellaneous things. Although that doesn't sound like such a big deal, IT IS! It seems as though someone's always missing and its usually my husband. (At the Fire Department, of course). Or if he's home, one of the kids may be with MeMa, or I have to go grocery shopping; you get the point. Today, however was different. The first out of the ordinary event was the fact that I was not awakened with the sound of giggles or the breath of a child on my face before 8:30am. I can't begin to tell you how amazing it was to sleep that late! Quite refreshing to wake up on my own without any sort of wake up call. I'd like to try that again..... Our plan was for everyone to spend the day working in the yard. Actually, that was Curtis' plan and we reluctantly agreed to it in order to spend time together. However, God knew we needed to be a little closer than that once he sent the rain, the 5 of us sat together around the living room watching a movie. Once the rain stopped in the afternoon, Curtis went out while I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning inside. The kids were back and forth, being drawn to the cartoons on television while I pulled and pushed them out the door to "enjoy" the sun. Not long before dark, we had friends over for dinner and later sent tucked the children into bed. Now I sit here typing and watching television, alone because of a fire call, thinking about how simple yet pleasing my day has been. This is something that could easily be taken for granted because it was so ordinary. However, I'm very aware of what's its like to not have a simple but ordinary day and I hope that I never take that for granted. So the next time someone asks you what you did today and you say nothing much, realize how lucky you are. Each day has been given to us as a blessing and we should always appreciate it and NEVER take it for granted!

No comments: