Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hobbies


If you had asked me about my hobbies a few months ago, I would have looked at you as though you had a third eye. Now that I have time to breathe, I've discovered that it would be possible for me to obtain a hobby. Although I am not really the type of person to persue hobbies, I have found several things that are of interest to me. More than that, I've discovered that in finding that these things interest me, I'm learning more about myself and what it is that brings me joy and satisfaction. So here are several of those interests, or hobbies if you'd like to call it that.
As you already know, I love to write but finding the time (and a connection!) during the day can be tough. Searching local papers and websites for free or low cost activities to keep myself and my children occupied this summer has become a big one. Just today, I found that you can go to the local movies at least once a month for FREE so we will probably go tomorrow. Oh, and a small popcorn and drink are just $1 each. When I find something like that, its exciting! I have never been one to read but I recently picked up a Nicholas Sparks book and have almost finished it. Quite relaxing before bed and my dreams aren't as active as they where when I watched television before going to sleep! Don't get me wrong; I still like my TV shows but I've started alternating them a little. Photography........ I absolutely love taking pictures, trying to get the best lighting, angles, and focus. I know that I share this hobby with Lyra, who is already taking pictures that look professional! I'm so jealous but don't worry, I'll keep practicing and hopefully catch up! And last but certainly not least: Learning. I love to learn new things - if they are of interest to me of course. I'm trying to learn about things that perhaps I have always been interested in but they were never a practical thing to spend my time on. Like cooking, which has also become a huge interest of mine. I'm watching and reading about it a lot to learn the proper and new ways to cook different foods. I'm learning about the foods as well. Where they come from, how to store, how to season and best cooking methods. This has all been a wonderful learning experience about myself and I suggest that if you ever have even a small amount of time to devote to yourself that you spend it doing something that interests you. You might be amazed at what you discover about yourself!

No comments: