Friday, August 8, 2008

Living Through Them.....

I've often heard that you shouldn't try to "live" your life through other people. However, I've discovered that's virtually impossible once you have children. I'm always thinking of their futures and considering what they might do next as if it were myself. I don't see it as being selfish but I suppose I understand how a person might have that perception. As long as a parent is genuinely concerned about the welfare of their children and consider their best interests while doing so, I don't see the harm in it. After all, they're children and if their parents don't encourage them to do things they think are best, who will? They certainly can't make their own decisions at this young age. I do believe that it can get out of hand and more than once I've had to get myself in check and rethink what's best for my children and not me. It's easy to let things get out of control if you are trying to re-live your own childhood. There's just so many things that we want for our children that we want to take advantage of every opportunity that comes their way. Unfortunately, not all of those opportunities are what's best for them and as long as we keep things in perspective, its a healthy encouragement. We just have to take caution to not let our drive for the success of our children overcome their happiness. We must also make sure they remember the principles and values we want instilled in them. It would be a shame and reflect failure of a parent if they forget that family and more importantly our Lord gives them true happiness and success where it matters.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Quite possibly my favorite entry Carla. Such truth and heart that you mention.