Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Magic of Christmas

It took about 25 years to come back around but finally I believe in Santa Claus again! To make a long story short, I discovered the truth about Santa way too early (I was 5). I've always been a little upset over that because I feel like I got gyped and couldn't experience the "magic" of Christmas as long as most children get to. Don't worry Mom, it wasn't tramatic or anything, just disappointing! Christmas has still remained to be my favorite and most anticipated holiday. Everything about it makes me smile- the decorations, the shopping, the giving, the receiving, the chaos, the smells, the smiles, the family, the friends, and most importantly the reason. I look forward to Thanksgiving each year mostly because that's when I can officially start listening to Christmas music and put up the decorations. Unfortunately, some of the excitement was replaced by stress once I moved out on my own and it became more of a responsibility for me. Now, I had to worry about paying for gifts, cooking, cleaning and all those other things we do during the holidays. Don't misunderstand; I love doing those things but do not enjoy the stress of so much to do in such a short time frame! This year some of that should be alleviated due to my lack of employment. Now there are new pressures; financial ones that make us worry and many of you are sharing in that with me this year due to our economy. Each year up until now, Christmas has gradually lost some of its shine in my life. I still looked forward to it and enjoyed the things that come with it but there was more and more dread as well. This year, I was looking forward to the time I have never had before to get prepared and spend time with my family creating more traditions and continuing the old ones. But of course, I was still worried about where the money would come from. I found myself thinking, "I hope there really is a Santa Claus or I might have some disappointed children on Christmas morning". Those of you who are parents know that this thought is more devasting than if you woke up missing a limb! I realized that I have been slowing inching back to my own way instead of God's way. Instead of letting him keep the reigns which I had pledged to him a while back, I was slowly taking them back. So, instead of being in control, I found myself in a situation that I could not handle. I pleaded with him and gave him back the control. He proved himself again in less than one day. Yesterday, I received an answer that was completely unexpected but will provide. I am still in awe and do not quite have the words for it other than thank you. Despite what I read and believe, it always amazing to witness what God can do in our lives. Finally, the Magic of Christmas is back! "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the GIFT of God" Ephesians 2:8

No comments: