Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Time Flies


Although I had not forgotten that I have a blog, I did put it on the proverbial back burner for more than a year because it fell on my list of priorities. For a quick update, Austin is currently playing football and in the sixth grade. He's a challenge for me but I think perhaps its because we are a bit alike. Yes, I now have a middle schooler who in some ways reminds me of myself and I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet. Alex is playing tee ball and dancing; ballet to be more specific. As usual, she excels at both. She has also started first grade this year and we are still at home. We are taking it year by year and so far, we like it. Ashlyn is also playing tee ball and taking a ballet/tumble class. Thankfully, she doesn't need to play ball well yet because she's so cute you can't help but smile. She also seems to prefer the gymnastics part of her class over the dancing which came as a surprise to me. Still, I'm glad that all three children are happy with what they are doing. We have joined a Community Bible Study which we attend once a week and of course, we are attending church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. Unfortunately, my husband misses most of these things with the exception of some of their Saturday games because he works so much. We all stay busy but I remind myself often to enjoy this because I know that one day I will miss it. I am still in school working on my "to do by the time I'm 30" list. Obviously, I'm a little behind schedule but I feel better by telling myself that at least I'm not idle which means I'm still moving forward. I've also picked up a few hours of work which I fit in when I can but am hoping to do more as soon as I find a few extra hours in my day. Because of my lack of free time, my blog has suffered. I have been thinking lately that instead of feeling like I have to come up with new material, why don't I post some of the things I've already written for some of my classes? After all, its my material and most of it is blog appropriate. So, that's what I'll be posting for a while. Here goes the first one.

In our culture today, the Christian gospel is often perceived as outdated and sometimes even foolish. In a world in which celebrities set the standards for normal and money equals control and power, the very idea of placing our faith and beliefs into a man who walked the earth centuries ago seems insane. With millions of followers watching, Oprah once said that “There are many paths to what you call God” and “there couldn't possibly be just one way”. These followers have now been led down the wrong path and it would be difficult to convince them otherwise. If most religions are offering a way that will let a person act according to their emotions, and in which the basis of all works are simply to make one feel good and be happy, then why would a non believer choose Christianity? In addition, if most of the world’s most intellectual and most influential people are not following the teaching of the gospel, then a person would be silly to simply accept this person Christians call Jesus. After all, you can’t even physically see him and his teachings are to a world that doesn’t exist in today’s culture! Beginning to address these objections will require Christians to be better prepared with their witness. We need to try to understand a person’s objections in order to overcome them and answer their questions in a way that they will understand the Christian perspective. We must first gain interest before we can effectively state our purpose and beliefs when we share our testimonies. Credibility goes a long way in spreading the good news to the world!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Congrats on life, and thanks for the post, you made some really good points. Just curious, where is this community Bible study?