Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Unfair!


I often myself in situations that are less than appealing yet I am limited as to what I can do about it. If you are around me very much, you will quickly learn that I have no tolerance for drama. (Of course everyone has moments including myself). If I am unhappy with something or someone is telling me about their unhappiness with a situation, my response usually leads to one thing. After letting a person vent, my next question to that person or even myself is “What are you going to do about it?” If you or I are unhappy with something as it is, then one of two things needs to happen. Either we can accept things how they are and learn to have joy in it or we can do something to change the situation.
Now, despite this no nonsense attitude, I have lately found myself in situations where I am unwilling to change how I feel about something because that something is absolutely not acceptable. However, in that same situation, there may not be anything that I can do to change the circumstances! How can this be? Why should I be made to accept something in which I have been given no choices and no opportunities to change that which seems completely unacceptable?
I’ll tell you how. This is possible because God allows us as humans the privilege of free will. While it may be true that I would not make particular choices, others might make choices that contradict my own. If those people are in positions higher than me, then their choices can determine my fate. That doesn’t seem fair at all. However, if you around me for long, you’ll also hear another phrase of mine. “Life isn’t fair so don’t ever think that you are entitled to anything out of fairness.”
While there is no answer to this dilemma, the Serenity Prayers seems to be the most appropriate response.

I can say this prayer but the real challenge is to mean it and then put it into practice! We’ll see…….

No comments: