Friday, April 12, 2013

What Do You See At The Beach?

What do you see when you go to the beach? I am fortunate enough to live just a few miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the warmer weather this week caused my mind to wander. For many years, I took my location for granted because I have lived here since childhood. I decided in my thoughts to take a closer look at nature. How could you not, considering that we are now battling pollution  and many other issues that are detrimental to the Earth as we know it? There's so much talk about the need to make everything Eco friendly now that I'm afraid I might look at the ocean tomorrow and be able to actually see it receding from the shoreline! What do I see when I go to the beach? The miracles of God. Depending on the time of day and season of the year, there's so much to take in. The sound of the waves or the hum of the lack of waves and movement of the water. The salt air can sometimes be dense and sweltering while at other times it feels light and is aromatic. The sun may reflect so brightly you'd need sunglasses to keep from squinting. On cloudy days, it might look like a small dot behind the clouds yet cast a perfect lighting for pictures. Sometimes, I can barely stand the scorching hot sand under my feet yet the next it may be hard and uncomfortable to walk on. At times, the children are fascinated by the fact that you can't walk without shoes because of the shells to be found. Some days, we can look for hours and not find one that's ideal while on others, we can fill our bags in just minutes. How can all these different things be experienced on one spot of Earth? It's the work of God. How can a person see the seasons change, the moon shine over the ocean, or the day break on the water and not believe in a higher being? How can you stand on the sand overlooking the curved horizon of the ocean at sunrise and not believe in the one true Creator? That is something I know better than to try to understand. Still, this beautiful corner of the Earth is on my side when it comes to influencing the minds of those who do not believe. Living near one of God's greatest creations is definitely to my advantage and I will not take it for granted!

"Then God said, "Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it was so. God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas; and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:9,10



No comments: